Monday, January 11, 2010

Chloe's story - in her Mommy's words

{Days and days leading up to the accident Chloe has been BEGGING me to get her hair cut - short and on an angle like mine. I was dragging my feet about getting it done, because I just love her long locks.}

I was at my friends house with 4 of my girlfriends when Ryan called me. He told me to go pick up the boys from a friends house, because there had been an accident with Chloe. I'm not so good in emergency situations, but I knew that I had to be with my girl. Thankfully, our friends who had the boys, offered them to stay the night and keep them the next day if needed, so I didn't even have to worry about them. Also, my girlfriends worked out a plan so that I didn't have to drive to the hospital by myself. Looking back at that - that was huge. I don't know if I would've made it there!

When I got to the hospital, I walked in her room, and Ryan was standing to the side watching about 8-10 people working on our baby. I lost it. They took us to a consultation room and just let us hold each other and cry. There was nothing that we could do to help our sweet baby girl and we felt so helpless. We prayed right there for her and asked for the Lord to heal our Gracey girl. Thankfully, my two friends who drove me there were there for me and just let me talk and cry. I was numb. It totally felt surreal - like it wasn't happening. I didn't know what to do. The only thing that I could do for her is to get people to pray for her. I had Susan call Joan at my church to put Chloe on the prayer chain; people posted it on Facebook, and from there it just snowballed. My baby girl had hundreds of people praying for her!

Chloe was going to get airlifted to The University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital, but before they left, they allowed us to go in and see her. Nobody should have to see their baby like that - NOBODY. It was awful. They handed me her little purple hoop earrings and the clothes that they cut off her body. Up until that point, I thought that she was unconscious and not able to breathe, but it was then that the doctor told me that they did that to her on purpose because they didn't know the extent of her injuries.

The flight team arrived and as they were preparing her for the flight to U of C, they noticed she had some air in her lung. They immediately scanned her lung to find out that she had a collapsed lung and then put a tube in her chest. The doctors from U of C said that the doctors from St. Anthony's placed the tube perfectly, and that they did everything just perfect for our girl. Once they completed all that she got on the helicopter and headed to U of C.

Ryan and I got in our car, still in complete shock that this was happening and headed to U of C. Our Pastor Kris texted us on our our way telling us that he was with Chloe at U of C and to drive safe. Ryan and I can't explain how much of a comfort that was to us. To know that someone was with her meant the world. My mom, brother Len, sister-in-laws Tara and Jen and cousin Rachel were also waiting for us in the waiting room when we got there, and that was so comforting as well. We had to wait a bit for the doctor to give us a report, and to have those people with us was just awesome! Thanks guys!

The doctor came in and gave the report that she had a small bleed on the brain on the back right side and a fracture on the front left side of her skull. Prognosis at that point was good, but it was basically a waiting game - the first 72 hours are crucial.

They finally came to get us so we could see our girl. Of course, Ryan and I cried and cried and just held on to each other. Shortly thereafter, our family members came in to see her. It's hard to see anybody on a ventilator let alone a 7-year old girl that you love dearly. We all shed some tears and then tried to get some sleep. I say tried, because honestly I didn't sleep a wink. My nerves had got the better of me and I was having trouble with horrible thoughts, so I was pretty much fighting with the devil all night and standing beside my baby. I would sing to her, pray for her, rub her head - anything to try to comfort her.

Morning FINALLY came - and she went for a CT scan. I was walking to the bathroom, and realized I knew one of the nurses. I stopped and talked with her and cried with her, and then she asked if she could come see Chloe. Of course, I said yes. She looked at her and how she was trying to wake herself up out of sedation and her vitals, etc. and she told me and Ryan "she's gonna be fine." After that she asked if she could get us something to drink. I asked for a Diet Coke while Ryan asked for a coffee. Little did we know that she was going to go to au bon pain and bring back coffee, diet coke, muffins and danishes. She was my little angel that morning (and pretty much proved to be my jem that night when she got everything we needed to take showers! :) She was awesome! Thanks Karen!)

While we were waiting for results I called Mel to give her an update and she told me that she was walking up to the hospital with Katie. Just what I needed! We waited so long to get the results, but the doctor said that if all came back with little to no change, then we would start to take her off the sedative and try to extubate her. The doctor came and said that there were no huge changes from the previous CT scan, so we were going to go along as planned with getting her off the sedative first to see how she would handle the ventilator. Well, let me tell you, she had a cheering squad in that room. People just kept showing up and we all just stood quietly by her bedside to see those beautiful eyes! She was fighting coming out, but she just wouldn't wake up enough for them to extubate her. My brother Paul and sister-in-law Kristin, niece Dana, Brian, Jori, Fritz, Jen, Heather, Jen, Rachel - we had a crew! (sorry if I forgot anybody - it's not intentional.) My brother and his family were getting ready to leave and she still hadn't woken up yet. My brother started to talk to her and tell her that they were leaving and they would really like to see her before they left. She started to really move around (her hands were strapped down the whole time) and FINALLY opened her eyes and woke up! The joy in me and Ryan's hearts when we got to see our baby girl's eyes was amazing. The respiration team quickly got into action to get her extubated and that went off without a hitch. They took the tube out of her nose and she was awake and telling us she was thirsty. She kissed us, she smiled at us it was just amazing! She was in and out of sleep and about 9 o'clock, Ryan and I decided that we needed some much needed sleep. I hadn't slept at all the night before, so sleep came very easily for me. I woke up around midnight to the nurse talking with Chloe. She was telling the nurse her name, holding her fingers up to tell her age, and gave a thumbs up! Oh it was just magnificent. To see my baby interact after so many hours of not interacting was just amazing!

I couldn't fall back to sleep. I think I had finally come to a point where I knew my baby was going to be o.k., I finally got my girl back! I cried....and cried....and cried. It was a really emotional time for me. I did go back to sleep about 4 and slept on and off until 6. All the while I would hear Ryan asking her what her middle name was and she would reply "Grace." It's just music to our ears when she can tell us what her brothers names are and what her birthday is.

We've had a few minor set-backs today, but nothing major! What they had originally thought to be fractures on her vertebrae are no longer there - they didn't show up on the second x-ray!! Another answer to prayer! They did find a non-displaced frontal sinus fracture. Nothing that needs operating, just monitoring for right now. No wrist fracture like they had thought.

She's been really sleepy today, which the doctors say is normal. Sometimes she's acting a bit confused and that's o.k. too. She's going to just need some healing time and I think before you know it, she'll be good as new. I'm going to guard her with my life, but she'll be good as new!

Ryan and I have sobbed over her bed because we didn't know what her future held for her. Last night, I sobbed over her bed because she's got a story that she's going to share in the future that includes God's healing power and the power of prayer! Oh, I can't wait to tell her all about it!

Oh, and the first thing on the agenda for her future? She's getting her hair cut!!! :)

16 comments:

  1. Aimee - beautifully worded!!! You are awesome and amazing. Hang in there.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie Aimee and Chloe,

    Its Megan from Florida! I'm glad to know that things are coming along good! I ask Lauren for new updates everyday and I look and your FB atleast five times a day auntie aimee! Stay strong Chloe! You have tons of family and friends praying for your recovery! Hopefully Lauren and I can come visit you guys soon! I've never been to Chicago and I would love to come and visit you all! Love you all and I will be thinking and praying for all of you!

    love - megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe,

    Keeping you in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chloe,

    I just want to tell you what an amazing little girl you are! I was able to see you fight against some really strong medicine so I just knew that you were gonna make a speedy recovery. You have the best mom and dad in the world, they were by your side the ENTIRE time! You may not realize it right now, but you have an incredible story to share and I can't wait to hear about it in your words! Love and Kisses!!

    Auntie Katie

    P.S. Tucker, Cally and Anna have you in their prayers and are so glad you are doing so well. Also, don't worry about the bracelets...the girls are gonna make you some knew ones! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're so proud of you and how strong you have been! Who knew you were such a fighter. I guess it pays off to have brothers, huh?
    You're mommy and daddy are also VERY strong and they love you sooooo much. If you could only see the way they stood by your bed and all the things they did to comfort you, you'd be so proud of them - you're a lucky girl!
    You definitely have an angel looking out for you and God knows just how much we still need you here on this earth.
    Continue to fight girlie!

    Thanks Aimee for the guest post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Chloe,

    My name is Faith and I live in Colorado... My husband and your mommy are cousins (?)... My children have been praying for you and now they want to meet you. Maybe at our "Riddering" reunion. We are praising God that you are starting to feel better!

    Ps. Thanks Aimee for the post! I am sure it was hard to write but thank you for sharing.

    Faith Riddering

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chloe,
    I just want you to know that I am praying for you. You have the best mommy and daddy ever. Just remember that after this, you will have an awesome story of how God worked miracles in you!! You can tell all your friends all about it. I'm praying that you continue to get better daily. Keep Fighting girl!!! I know you can do it!!
    Love,
    Amanda Pondinas From Church

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your story Aimee. You don't know how much I wish I could be there with you. You are an amazing woman and mother and our awesome God has given you incredible strength to get through this. Chloe is so blessed to have you at her side.
    I love you!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was great Aimee...thank you for letting us into your heart.

    Keep fighting Chloe! Love you all!

    Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Chloe! We're so happy to hear that you're getting better and better! Sadie can't wait to see you and have a sleep over. :) We've been praying like crazy (even Sadie) for you to get better. She said when she sees you she's going to hug you, kiss you, and put her hands on your head to pray for you to heal all the way. We all love you and can't wait to see you!

    Love, Uncle Brian, Auntie Jori, Sadie, and Gavin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ryan and family,
    Just wanted you to know we are praying in earnest for your Chloe. We are rejoicing at the progress she has already made! Praise God! Chloe, you are a fighter! Keep it up, sweetie! And, just so you know, your daddy was one of my students a long time ago - he was a good kid too! And your great aunt Lori was one of my dear friends back in college. Looking forward to more good reports.

    Sue Reinsma (Ottenhoff)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Chloe! I am Fritz, Isaac, Ella and Olivia Olthof's Aunt Denise. I have posted your accident on Facebook too. I want you to know there's another 100 plus people praying for you everyday and celebrating with every bit of progress you make. You are a beautiful girl. We will continue to pray for you and can't wait to here when you make it home.

    Love,
    Denise Van Ryn

    ReplyDelete
  13. storming heavens gates for a speedy and full recovery! thanking God for the progress that has been made...you are a little fighter!!! God is good!! thank for this update Aimee and Ryan. please know we are praying for you too. in Christian Love,

    Kevin & Kim De Block
    Abby and Nick

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to hear that your beautiful daughter is recovering. Tell her we can't wait to see her swimming at the Lake in a couple of months. We will be praying for a full recovery.

    The Gerlach Family

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heard this news on Sunday morning and began praying for Chloe and the entire family immediately. It is awesome to see the power of prayer with SO MANY people praying.

    Steve Paul

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Chloe!!!SOOOO glad you are home and doing so very well. I love reading about each day as you grow stronger. God has great plans for you and your story had already touched so very many lives. Marc and I, along with Alaina, Ethan and Tucker are thinking about you and praying for you too! We can't wait for summer to come to be back at the lake!!!:)

    Joy Kats

    ReplyDelete